Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Duane's Love of Laughter

Like most modern mothers, I had to work outside the home while we were raising our family.  One of the people I relied on for child care for Duane was Mary Hazen.  Mary recently shared a funny story with me about Duane.  She thought she would use making the kids eat Brussels sprouts as a disciplinary measure.  I vaguely remembered the incident, but Mary filled in details for me, as follows:

Duane was one of "my children," and it was an exceptionally roudy day for them all, and.....it must be my sign, Scorpio... I don't get mad, I get even! I made Brussels sprouts with lunch. As the other children were crunching up their faces at the sight, they were waiting for Duane to handle this situation..... and handle he did.  To my dismay, Duane yelped, "Oh goody, but do you have any lemon juice to put on them?" and he commenced to wolf down and even share this new delight, flavored just right, with the rest of the boys, who loved the adventure of trying something new!  They would have done anything Duane did - he, their hero of mischief that day. I simply sat in my seat with my jaw hung low. 1 point = Duane, 0 point = Mary.

This looks like an appropriate photo for our "hero of mischief!"


My dear friend Brenda Lewis recently wrote these words about Duane's love of laughter:

Duane was gifted with art and also with the love of laughter. He was always laughing, which became contagious. He could even make us laugh when something really wasn't funny, like when our dog "went" on the floor. He laughed and laughed until we were all laughing. I suggested that he could clean it up but that made him laugh even harder. We couldn't help but laugh too! Duane really helped us to make light of the small stuff and enjoy life and the good things in life, like: live, love and laugh. It is after all a merry medicine that he gave us. We miss him and it gives us a peace knowing that he is in paradise and we will see him again someday and I'm sure when we meet again, he will be laughing!

Duane DuBois and Scott Lewis, causing laughter!

Bren, I do believe you are absolutely right about that.  I suspect he's laughing now, even more joyfully than ever before!

A merry heart does good, like medicine,
      But a broken spirit dries the bones.
Proverbs 17:22 (NKJV)

or  "The Message" puts it this way:

A cheerful disposition is good for your health;
   gloom and doom leave you bone-tired.

LIVE.... LOVE.... LAUGH

1 comment:

  1. I'll always remember Duane's laughter, it was infectious! My memories of Duane's laughter was mostly from family get togethers, Easter, Thanksgiving, or a picnic. That laughter would never be alone, there would always be a chorus of little ones chiming right in. I'm sure that Dan and Emalee could be more specific about what the laughing was all about! The kids always seemed to be off on their own scampering around or under my bed, so the adults for the most part would not know what they were laughing about. Remember that Sis, what is it about kids liking to cram themselves under a bed? Probably one of the few times that ALL the dust got removed from the furthest corners! Laughter, one of the most precious sounds at a family get together, and Duane was always front and center in the "production" of that! I find it quite interesting that one of Mike's favorite sayings is "keep laughing." Duane is probably pleased that his Dad is continuing on with the laughter "production!"

    ReplyDelete